Monday, 5 August 2013

Part of a Building explaining some Technical Terms

Engraving by H. Roberts (sculp)

This is the vintage engraving I got last year for my birthday from work coleagues. I came across it since I am sorting the stuff around before the moving. I was a bit sceptical about the genuity. There is a date on the back, saying 1746 and a signature on the front in the right bottom corner.


The drawing seems to be a teaching material of some sorts. The elements of the building are drawn from the front as well as in cross-section. I dont believe this building exists. Its probably made up to direct the attention to different architectural parts. 

After a quick research with our friend Google, I found another two engravings on E-bay: 


 The first one sold by Interestingtreasures. (And just for the sake of argument: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1700s-engraving-H-Roberts-Sculp-amorial-dogs-/380646126966 )
 
 And another one doesnt quite fit with the first two. They have the same style of engraving, and are static. This one is way too energetic. (Sold by: Yesterdaysphotos : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photo-St-Monday-H-Roberts-sculp-/400490053634)

So to sum up: I think I have genuine vintage engraving from 18th century and it made my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment